Do you live in Austria and have recently become a mother or father? Your newborn baby also needs a residence permit if she/he is a third-country national.

You can directly apply to your Immigration and Residence Authority in Austria for the residence permit for your child in the first six months after her or his birth. Which residence permit your child receives depends on your own residence permit.

Please submit the application for your baby in the first six months of her/his life! This is important as an application after those six months may be more complicated.


If your child was born in Austria, you require the Austrian birth certificate for the application.

If you child was born in a different country, you may need to have the birth certificate verified and/or translated by a court-certified translator (“gerichtlich beeideten Übersetzerin/beeideter Übersetzer”).


No passport or identity card required

You do not require a passport for your child yet in order to apply for her/his first residence permit!

This is not the case if your child is an EU, EEA or Swiss national or if either you or the other parent are an EU, EEA or Swiss national and you apply for a Registration Certificate (“Anmeldebescheinigung”) or a Residence Card (“Aufenthaltskarte”) on behalf of your child. You need a passport or identity card of the child in these cases as well as her/his birth certificate, both the original and a copy.

You must, in any case, include all documents with your application that show that

  • your family lives in Austria
    (e.g., rent payments, rental contract, "Meldezettel")
  • your family has health insurance coverage
    (e.g. copy of e-cards)
  • you have sufficient financial means to support your entire family
    (e.g. last three payslips).  

Do you have questions that have not been covered?

Our experts offer support before, during and after immigration and permit extension processes. We are happy to answer all your questions and to support you, your family and your Austrian employer every step of the way. As ABA Work in Austria has an official mandate by the Austrian Government, all our services are free of charge.

Contact us