Studying in Austria as a third-country national

If you immigrate to Austria for the first time as a student, you will first have to apply for a Residence Permit – Student ("Aufenthaltsbewilligung Student"). If you already live in Austria and have a valid residence permit, you may not need to apply for the Residence Permit – Student.

Residence Permit – Student ("Aufenthaltsbewilligung Student")

You can apply for a Residence Permit – Student (“Aufenthaltsbewilligung Student”). The website of Austria’s Agency for Education and Internationalisation (OeAD) contains all the information you need about where you should apply for this residence permit, which documents you need, which prerequisites you must fulfil, what rules apply to your family, and much more.

Other scenarios which allow you to study in Austria

Holder of certain valid Austrian residence permit

Family member of EU/EEA or Swiss national

Life partner of EU/EEA or Swiss national

Family member of Austrian citizen

Family member of holder of certain Austrian residence permit

Holder of valid student residence permit in another EU member state

In these cases, you do NOT need to apply for a Residence Permit – Student ("Aufenthaltsbewilligung Student"), because you hold a different Austrian residence permit that allows you to study.

Relocation to Austria

Do you want to know how health insurance works in Austria? Are you looking to inform yourself about the Austrian school system? Our own ABA Relocation Service happily provides you with information about life in Austria!

ABA Relocation Service