Non-EU/EEA family immigration

Are you a third-country national living in Austria and want your family to join you? Are you planning to immigrate to Austria to be with your family who already lives in Austria? Would you like to immigrate to Austria as a family altogether? We are here to assist you in whichever scenario!

Who is a family member?

Austria not only offers attractive residence permits for skilled international employees, but also for their family members. As a rule, family members are considered to be:  

  • Wives/husbands
  • Civil partners
  • Children under the age of 18

If you have an EU, EEA or Swiss nationality, children under the age of 21 are considered to be children who can receive a residence permit as your dependants.

Which residence permit can my family members receive?

Which residence permit your family members get depends on several factors: 

  • Is there a close connection to the the European Union, Switzerland, or the European Economic Area?
  • Which type of residence permit does the skilled employee in the family hold?
  • How long has the skilled worker in the family already been in Austria?
  • What family relations are there exactly?

Why should you use the Immigration Guide Austria?

This guide offers you a clear overview of

  • which residence permits you can apply for as family members
  • how long the residence permits are valid 
  • whether these residence permits give you the right to work in Austria
  • if and how you can extend these residence permits
  • which German language skills you have to present as a prerequisite.

Recommended from Work in Austria