Working and Living in Austria as an EU/EEA or Swiss National

As an EU/EEA/Swiss national, you can stay in Austria working both as an employee or a self-employed individual. If you stay longer than three months, you have to apply for the so-called Registration Certificate (“Anmeldebescheinigung”). 

Registration Certificate ("Anmeldebescheinigung")

The Registration Certificate provides proof of the right of residence under EU law, i.e., that EU nationals are permitted to live in Austria for longer than three months. The application for the Registration Certificate must be submitted within four months after entering Austria.

The application must be submitted in person the the correct branch of the Austrian Immigration and Residence Authority, the location of which depends on the individual’s place of residence.

Checklist for your first weeks in Austria

  • Residence registration within the first three days

    You are required to register in the municipality you move to within the first three days of your stay in Austria. You are subsequently given a residence registration (“Meldezettel”) which you frequently need in Austria.

  • Registration Certificate within the first four months

    You have to register as an EU/EEA/Swiss national in the first four months after arriving in Austria. The certificate you apply for is called the Registration Certificate (“Anmeldebescheinigung“).  

Documents you have to pepare

The following documents must be presented to the competent Immigration and Residence Authority when applying for the Registration Certificate (“Anmeldebescheinigung”):

  • Application form
    Application Form
  • Valid EU passport or identity card 
  • Residence registration ("Meldezettel") 
    as proof of your place of residence in Austria
  • Proof of why you are residing in Austria
    e.g., employment contract, trade register excerpt (“Gewerberegisterauszug”), student record sheet (“Studienblatt”) providing proof of enrolment
  • Proof of sufficient means of subsistence
    e.g., salary slips, bank account statements
  • Proof of health insurance coverage
    e.g., Austrian e-card, European Health Insurance Card, social insurance data sheet (“Versicherungsdatenauszug”)
  • Relevant documents on your family status
    e.g., marriage certificate, partnership document, birth certificate of children

You will also have to pay a fee of € 15.


Additional information about your application for a Registration Certificate

Verifications and translations

Expiration date and format

You may be have to pay a fine if you fail to apply for the Registration Certificate or submit your application too late.  

More information about the Registration Certificate

  • If you have the Registration Certificate or an equivalent, you may also apply for the photo ID for EEA nationals (“Lichtbildausweis für EWR-Bürger”) at any time. It comes in a credit card format and can be used as an identity card. However, you are not required to apply for this type of identification. This identification is valid for a period of five years.
  • After residing in Austria for five years, you have the right to permanent residence (“Daueraufenthalt”). You can (optionally) submit an application to your Immigration and Residence Authority for a document certifying permanent residence (“Bescheinigung des Daueraufenthalts”). For this purpose, you will have to prove that you actually lived in Austria for at least five years and have had health insurance coverage during this time.  

Relocation to Austria

Do you want to know how health insurance works in Austria? Are you looking to inform yourself about the Austrian school system? Our own ABA Relocation Service happily provides you with information about life in Austria!

ABA Relocation Service