Keep employing international workers

What do Austrian employers need to know about the continuous employment of international skilled workers?

Your duties as an Austrian employer regarding the continuous employment of international workers largely depend on your workers' nationalities. While EU/EEA/Swiss citizens are treated just as Austrian citizens, different rules apply to so-called third-country nationals.

Keep employing international students

Are you currently employing international students who have a Residence Permit – Student ("Aufenthaltsbewilligung Student) and a work permit ("Beschäftigungsbewilligung")? Would you like to keep employing them after their graduation? Find out more!

Keep employing EU/EEA/Swiss citizens

Are you currently employing citizens from the EU, the EEA or Switzerland, and would like to keep employing them? Besides complying with the standard labor law regulations that also apply to any Austrian employees you may have, there is nothing you need to do! This is because EU/EEA/Swiss nationals do not need a residence permit to stay in Austria.

Keep employing third-country nationals

  • Follow up with extension processes

    Your employee needs to make sure that he/she applies for an extension of her/his residence permit in time. Your employee must submit the application in the three months before her/his current permit expires. Afterwards, an application is generally treated as a first application. For you as the employer, this would mean an instant employment stop in most cases. In this sense, please be sure to follow up with your employee's extension process!

  • Documents needed from your side

    You as the employer are only peripherally involved in residence permit extension processes. You may, for instance, be asked to provide wage accounts ("Lohnkonten").

  • Employment during the extension process

    Has your employee submitted her/his application for a residence permit extension in time but has not yet received the new permit? Has her/his current permit already expired? Do not worry: As long as your employee has submitted the application in time, she/he is still a legal resident. This means that your employee can keep working for you while the application is still being processed! Please make sure that your employee has proof of having submitted the application ("Einreichbestätigung") to the Austrian Immigration and Residence Authority. This is important in case of inspections.

Is your employee uncertain about the permit extension?

We would be delighted to support you and your candidate every step of the way!

Do you have questions regarding the immigration, employment and retention of international employees? Our experts offer support before, during and after immigration and permit extension processes. We are happy to support you, your employees and their families every step of the way. As we have an official mandate by the Austrian Government, all our services are free of charge.

Contact us