Employing a third-country national with a long-term residence permit

Many Austrian residence permits provide third-country nationals with free access to the Austrian labor market. Does your candidate have such a valid permit? Congratulations, you may hire her/him just like you would hire an Austrian, EU, EEA or Swiss national!

If your candidate has one of the following residence permits, you can hire her/him right away without having to go through a special procedure. This is because those residence permits grant their holders free access to the Austrian labor market, meaning that they can work for whomever they want, work full time or part time, etc., just like any Austrian national.

Please make sure to notify your AMS branch about the start date of employment, though. You need to do that for all third-country nationals except those with the Long-Term Resident EU permit and the (Permanent) Residence Card.

Notification form ("Beschäftigungsmeldung")

Please be sure to check the name of your candidate's permit thoroughly!

Some permits may have quite similar names but very different consequences! For instance, you cannot simply hire a person with a Red-White-Red – Card. You can, however, simply hire a person with a Red-White-Red – Card Plus. In case of doubts, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will let you know what to do!

Please make sure that your candidate has a valid permit or can provide you with the confirmation of having applied for an extended permit in time. Please also make sure to save a copy of your third-country nationals' residence permits in case of inspections.

We would be delighted to support you and your candidate every step of the way!

Do you have questions regarding the immigration, employment and retention of international employees? Our experts offer support before, during and after immigration and permit extension processes. We are happy to support you, your employees and their families every step of the way. As we have an official mandate by the Austrian Government, all our services are free of charge.

Contact us