Employing EU/EEA/Swiss citizens

As an Austrian employer, you can employ citizens from the EU, the EEA or Switzerland just like you would employ Austrian citizens.

Free movement of persons

EU, EEU and Swiss nationals are privileged by the free movement of persons. This means, among others, that they can enter Austria without a visa and can work in Austrian companies without a special work permit.

Your skilled worker must apply for or possess a so-called Registration Certificate (“Anmeldebescheinigung”), though, if staying in Austria for more than 3 months. However, it is not your task as an employer to check if this is the case. You do not need to have a copy of the Registration Certificate saved in your files.

Your candidate is a close family member of an EU, EEA or Swiss national

Is your skilled worker not an EU, EEA or Swiss national (and thus a third-country national) but is married to or in a civil partnership with an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen who will also immigrate to Austria or already lives in Austria? In this case, the free movement of persons also applies to your skilled worker. A standard residence permit is not necessary, but he or she will need a so-called Residence Card (“Aufenthaltskarte”). You might even be permitted to employ your skilled worker before he or she receives the Residence Card.  

We would be delighted to support you and your employee every step of the way!

Do you have additional questions regarding the immigration, employment and retention of international employees? Our experts offer support before, during and after immigration and permit extension processes. We are happy to support you, your employees and their families every step of the way. As we have an official mandate by the Austrian government, all our services are free of charge.

Contact us