Processing of application

First steps in Austria

Information for EU/EEA/Swiss nationals

Have you or your family member(s) applied for a Registration Certificate ("Anmeldebescheinigung")? Great! All EU nationals, Swiss nationals and EEA nationals can immigrate to Austria without a special visa and start working without having to wait for their Registration Certificate. In this sense, the following steps do not apply to them.

Register in Austria within three days

You have to register in Austria within three days (“Meldezettel”) at the registration authority for your residence location. Generally, you will also need a copy of your Meldezettel in order to receive your residence permit.

How to register in Austria

Living and working in Austria

Do you have questions about living and working in Austria? Our ABA experts will continue to support you with any questions you and your family might have about life in Austria, such as:

  • Do my family and I automatically have health insurance?
  • How does the Austrian school system look like?
  • Where can I learn German?
  • Does it make sense to have a phone contract?

ABA Relocation Services

Extending your residence permit

Are you interested in when and how to extend your residence permit? Feel free to read everything about permit extensions so you are well-prepared for your continued stay in Austria!


Relocation to Austria

Do you want to know how health insurance works in Austria? Are you looking to inform yourself about the Austrian school system? Our own ABA Relocation Service happily provides you with information about life in Austria!

ABA Relocation Service